The purpose of this policy is to outline the circumstances under which groups or organizations may use the Buxton Municipal Office meeting rooms and to provide guidance for the Selectmen’s Assistant for scheduling and coordinating the use of the meeting rooms. Further, it is the intent of this policy to specifically limit the use of the Municipal Office meeting rooms as a general public forum in order to insure that the meeting rooms remain easily accessible to residents doing business with the Town and to give priority for use of meeting rooms to the Town’s Selectmen, appointed Boards and Committees and other groups and organizations which are directly sponsored by the Town or to which the Town is a member.
The Buxton Municipal Office has two conference rooms, which are available for residents of Buxton to utilize for public meetings. All rooms are ADA accessible.
The small conference room is available for groups of 15 or less. The room contains a conference table and a white board, television with VCR.
The large meeting room can accommodate 150 people. The room contains an audio system, podium, white board, tables and folding chairs.
It is the general policy that the Buxton Municipal Office meeting rooms shall be made available for use by not-for-profit organizations, other government agencies and officials and Town civic organizations only when such use can be accommodated without interfering with residents wishing to transact business at the Municipal Office or with the Town’s Boards, Committees and affiliated groups and organizations.
Use of the Buxton Municipal Office meeting rooms must meet the following general guidelines:
1. Any meetings held or information displayed by such organizations must be open and available to the general public or be intended, through the various media to provide information to the general public.
2. Any meetings and information shall be non-partisan in nature.
3. Any meetings and information shall be educational in nature and shall avoid advocacy of a particular position in areas of public policy dispute or controversy.
4. Any meetings and information shall be non-commercial and not-for-profit in nature.
5. Any meetings and information should be reasonably related to public interests of the Town of Buxton and its residents.
In addition to the general principles stated above, specific guidelines follow and relate to particular uses of areas or facilities of the Buxton Municipal Building.
Priorities For Use
The priorities for the use of Buxton’s Municipal Office meeting rooms shall be as follows:
1. Selectmen meetings;
2. Meetings of Town Boards or Committees;
3. Meetings of groups to which the Town is a sponsor or member;
4. Meetings of Town staff;
5. Uses requested by agencies or officials of County, State of Federal Governments;
6. Not-for-profit and civic organizations where the meeting is open to the general public or which are intended, through the various media, to provide information to the general public
In general, meeting space at the Buxton Municipal Office shall be provided at no cost for those groups described in 1 through 6 above by reservation only on a first come, first serve basis. The Board of Selectmen may opt for a fee for civic organizations if the rooms require special set-up and cleaning.
Main Entry Lobby
The Main Entry Lobby of the Buxton Municipal Office may not be used when the Town is conducting its normal business. The one exception for use during normal business hours may be on Election Day with the permission of the Board of Selectmen and/or Town Clerk.
Petition signature gathering is permitted at a location or locations to be established by the Board of Selectmen and/or Town Clerk, only on election days when the meeting room(s) is used as a polling place.
The School Department/Recreation Committee or other Town Boards or Committees may use the main entry lobby for displays specifically related to school or Town programs and functions.
Municipal Office outside area
The use of the Municipal Office parking lots and open grassy space is discouraged due to safety and liability concerns with the Town’s insurer. There are some instances when these areas may be used with prior approval from the Board of Selectmen and/or Town Clerk. For example, an outdoor dedication may be allowed or something similar to the dedication of the Viet Nam Memorial.
Publications and Posters
The Town has made provisions in various locations throughout the Municipal Office to display information in public areas, which shall be governed by the following guidelines:
1. Advertising by commercial, for profit groups or organizations shall not be permitted.
2. Posters informing the public of upcoming events, performances, or activities are authorized only for events supported or sponsored, in part or in whole, by the Town of Buxton or by one of its non-profit organizations.
3. Posters and other informative booklets and brochures may be displayed on the Municipal Office bulletin board and/or display racks in the lobby with prior approval of the Town Clerk and/or Board of Selectmen.
The Town of Buxton employees are authorized to remove any literature or posters that have become outdated, due to space limitations or when required to avoid visual clutter in public areas of the Municipal Office. Such removal is at the sole discretion of the Town Clerk and/or Board of Selectmen without notice to the organization that has placed the materials in the Municipal Office.
Residents can reserve a meeting room at the Municipal Office for their event through the Selectmen’s Assistant at (207) 929-5191 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Reservations will be taken on Wednesday from 1:00 – 5:00 p.m. Residents reserving the room will be required to provide a contact name, phone number and the date and time the meeting room will be used. Rooms are free of charge for community-based groups. The Board of Selectmen reserves the right to refuse any group from reserving a meeting room.
Responsibility for Review
The Buxton Board of Selectmen shall periodically review this Policy and, when necessary, recommend changes or revisions as necessary.
Buxton Municipal Office
Meeting Room Reservation & Rules To Be Followed
Approved by Executive Order 020303024
It is the Policy of the Buxton Board of Selectmen that the Buxton Municipal Office meeting rooms shall be made available for use by not-for-profit organizations, other government agencies and officials and Town civic organizations only when such use can be accommodated without interfering with residents wishing to transact business at the Municipal Office or with the Town’s Boards, Committees and affiliated groups and organizations.
Reservations for usage must be made through the Selectmen’s Assistant, weekdays at (207) 929-5191. Reservations can be made from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Reservations will be taken on Wednesday from 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
1. The use and possession of tobacco, alcohol and other drugs is prohibited in the Municipal Office Building.
2. Respect for equipment and facility expected at all times. If damage occurs, please report it to the Selectmen or their Assistant.
3. Groups with children must be adequately supervised by an adult(s) at all times. Food and beverage will be limited to the kitchen area only, unless prior approval is given in advance.
4. Clean up is the responsibility of the user. The facility should look as good as, or better than it looked when the user entered it. All trash should be deposited in the appropriate trash receptacles.
5. Any group that abuses these rules may be asked by the Board of Selectmen to find a different meeting location.
Town of Buxton
Checklist for Buxton Municipal Office Use
1. If the function is held other than normal business hours at the Municipal Office, (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30 – 4:30; Wednesday 11:30 – 7:30) please enter the Buxton Police Department to sign in and obtain a key, if using the large meeting room.
2. Use the meeting room assigned (small conference room or large meeting room). Bathrooms can be used. Do not enter any of the Municipal offices or the “Alarmed” Administration area by the front entrance.
3. Microphones, sound system must be turned off.
4. All lights must be turned off when leaving.
5. Front door to the Municipal Office must be closed and locked before leaving.
6. All windows must be closed.
7. Coffeepot and other appliances must be turned off and unplugged.
8. Thermostat has to be returned to original setting (65 in winter, 55 in summer).
9. Clean up is the responsibility of the user. The facility should look as good as, or better than it looked when the user entered it. All trash should be deposited in the appropriate trash receptacles.
10. Lock meeting room door (door to parking lot) and return key to the Police Department.
The Town of Buxton does not loan tables or chairs to non-profit groups or other entities that may request the use of Town owned furniture.
Thank you for your cooperation.