Old Town Garage
Records indicate that the concept of a new town equipment building officially started at the March 1, 1948 Annual Town Meeting. At that Meeting the residents voted to raise the sum of $3,000 to construct a suitable building to house the Town equipment, such as trucks and snowplows, and situate the building in a central location and purchase land necessary for the building. A parcel of land was purchased on Haines Meadow Road in Buxton Center on June 12, 1948 from Norman and Ella Smith of Standish. The land was purchased for $500 and was to be used for the new building. In 1949 the residents voted that the Selectmen and Budget Committee investigate and report their findings at the next meeting.
In 1950 the Town voted to raise $2,000 toward the new building, in 1951 the Town voted to raise $2,500 to be included with the unexpended balance of $4,391.50 in the building fund. In 1952 the residents voted to raise another $2,500 and the Selectmen were instructed to bring a detailed report of a building adequate for the housing of town machinery and the projected cost of the project.
A Special Town Meeting was held on May 13, 1952 and the Selectmen presented an estimate on an equipment building which was designed to be 80 feet long and 40 feet wide and contain five bays for four trucks and one bay for a storeroom for the road machine. The plans called for cinder block walls with a wood construction roof with tar and gravel on top. The heating system would be a forced hot air oil-burning furnace, electric lights and a cement floor. The estimated cost was $13,000. Unfortunately, the Article was passed over and not voted on.
On March 2, 1953 the voters unanimously approved $2,500 to be added to the $9,472.03 amount already allocated for the new Equipment Building. James Pease was appointed to take the necessary steps for the construction of the new Highway Equipment Building. At the March 2nd Meeting the voters were asked to see what action they wanted to take on the construction of the Highway Equipment Building at Buxton Center and the provision for a fireproof room 12 x 12 to be used for storage of Town Records, Papers and Valuation Books. The vote was unanimous to construct a new Highway Building with a fireproof vault.
James Pease was the Foreman overseeing the construction of the Highway Equipment Building and John M. Johnson was the contractor. The Highway Equipment Building cost $12,000 and was built after March 1953 and we believe completed before the Town Meeting of March 1954. At the Town Meeting in 1954 three tractor houses used as garages by the Road Commissioners were sold for $35.
Buxton’s Old Town Garage is located at 310 Haines Meadow Road and has been a fixture in Buxton Center since 1953. In 1953 the Upper District Road Commissioner was Edward Roberts and the Lower District Commissioner was Lawrence Townsend. The fate of the ‘Old Town Garage’ is now in the hands of the Selectmen and the voters.