Town of Buxton Planning Board
November 28, 2011
Recorded by Krystal Dyer
Board members in attendance: John Vedral, David Savage, Jeremiah Ross, Harry Kavouksorian, and David Anderson came in came in 4 minutes into the meeting.
Board Members not in attendance: James Logan and Sue Schaller
Others in attendance: Cindy LaPointe, Craig Geaumont, Henry Huntley, Shaun Emery
Call to Order: Harry opened the meeting at 7:00 pm with the Pledge of allegiance
Open the public hearing:
- Motioned by Jere, seconded by John to open the public hearing for Cindy LaPointe. The motion passed with a 4 – 0 vote.
Public Hearing for: Cindy LaPointe is requesting a Conditional Use permit to operate a Day Care Facility at 757 Narragansett Trail. Located in the business/commercial district on Tax Map 6, Lot 26.
Cindy stated she would be opening a daycare facility at 757 Narragansett Trail. The State has approved her for 5 to 20 kids, ages infant to 11 years.
Questions from the Board: John had no further questions; they now have proper parking and adequate entrance and exits. There were no further questions from the other Board members.
Having no abutters or questions from the audience
- Jere motioned to wave the reading of Article 8.2.b, Sections 10 and 11, seconded by John. There was no discussion, the motion passed with a 4 – 0 – 1 vote. David Anderson abstained.
Based on previous discussions we find the applicant to be in compliance with all applicable provisions of Articles 8.2.b, 10 & Section 11 (where applicable).
No further discussion
- Motioned by Jere, seconded by John to approve application with the conditions stated and from previous meetings. Having no discussion the motion passed with a 4 – 0 – 1, with David Anderson abstaining.
- John moved to close the public hearing for Cindy LaPointe, seconded by Jere the motion passed with a 4 – 0 - 1, David Anderson abstained.
CEO Report: Code Officer was not in attendance.
Approval of Minutes:
October 17, 2011 - re-submitted to clarify attendance.
- Motioned by Jere to approve the minutes of October 17, 2011 as amended, David Savage seconded. The motion passed 5 – 0 vote.
November 14, 2011 –
- Motioned by Jere, seconded by David Savage to approve the November 14, 2011 minutes as amended – 4 - 0 – 1 with John Vedral abstaining.
Approval of Bills:
- Jere moved to pay Portland Press Herald $25.40 for first legal notice for the LaPointe hearing, seconded by John. The motion passed with a 5 – 0 vote.
David Anderson added he has not received a written confirmation yet, but he believes the Selectmen have approved all of the carry over requested dollars for mapping.
~GIS mapping with USM will be coming in Wednesday to work with Krystal to download the
~Maine Townsman – November issue.
The Board discussed adult entertainment and mass gathering ordinances, along with fireworks and target shooting. After speaking with the Selectmen, it was agreed that the Planning Board would work on Adult Entertainment and Mass Gathering and the Selectmen, Fire & Police Chiefs’ were going to deal with fireworks. The Board will review Sample ordinances from other towns and the Maine State Planning Office.
Mass Gathering - Selectman, Cliff Emery gave an example of a mass gathering that happened and turned into a dangerous situation. The police need to be able to regulate large events. The person having the function would hire the police and safety to direct traffic and this would not be paid by the taxpayers. In addition, if there were an ordinance, the guidelines would allow the Police Department to stop the gathering if escalated out of control.
Adult entertainment – Jere said the question is, should we wait for an application and deal with it then or be pro active and ahead of the game and start the process now to have on the June ballot. David Savage read from “The Maine State Planning Office Regulating Adult Entertainment Establishments in Maine”.
John said the article has quite a bit of information and can use zoning to regulate. The perception to the public could have a different opinion. Jere would like to come up with the ordinance and put on the ballot and let the town decide.
Target shooting – Again do we do something stricter and let the public decide. The Board will proceed further when there is a full Board.
- Update on GIS tax maps – Shaun Emery a USM student is sitting in the audience for a class.- Jere explained that a USM program has offered to give us Town’s assistance to in digitizing the Town’s tax maps. This will enable the public to access the maps online. The Board thought they would take advantage of this service for the Tier-one maps and then proceed to the next step using money from future Planning Board budgets.
- By-laws – Sue Schaller is amending.
David Anderson gave his resignation effective January 2012.
- Jere motioned to close the public hearing at 8:05, seconded by John the vote was unanimous.
Approval Date: _________
Harry Kavouksorian, Chairman Signature Date