Town of Buxton Planning Board
September 26, 2011, at 7 pm
Recorded by Hilda Lynch
Board Members Present: John Vedral, David Savage, Sr.; Jeremiah Ross, III; Harry Kavouksorian; Sue Schaller; David Anderson
Board Members Absent: James Logan
Others Present: Henry Huntley, Belinda St. Pierre, Cliff Thomas
Chairman Harry Kavouksorian called the September 26, 2011, meeting of the Buxton Planning Board together at 7 p.m.
Pledge of allegiance
Public Hearing for Belinda St. Pierre’s Application
- Moved by Sue, seconded by John, to open the public hearing for Belinda St. Pierre. Six voted in favor.
Belinda is applying for a Conditional Use Permit to have her horse housed at her home. Harry noted that the Code Enforcement officer is not here. There were no abutters and no residents with any questions. Jere would like to add a condition that before the horse arrives on the property that the Code Enforcement office go out to inspect the barn. Board members agreed.
Harry read the standard Conditions of Approval:
1. All elements and features of the application and all representations made by the applicant concerning the development and use of the property which appear in the record of the Planning Board proceedings are conditions of the approval. No change from the conditions of approval is permitted unless an amended plan is first submitted to and approved by the Planning Board.
2. That the applicant be in compliance with all applicable provisions of Article 8.2.B & 10.
3. That the applicant be in compliance with all applicable provisions of
Section 11. (if applicable)
4. All outstanding bills paid before building permit is issued.
5. The Code Enforcement signs off on the work of the barn before the horse is moved in.
- Jere motioned, Harry seconded, that they waive the reading of Article 8.2.B and 10. Six voted in favor.
- Jere motioned, Harry seconded, that based on previous discussions, we find the application to be in compliance with all applicable provisions of Articles 8.2.B, 10 & Section 11 (if applicable). Six voted in favor.
- Jere motioned, seconded by Sue, to approve the application with the conditions stated and from previous meetings. Six voted in favor.
Cindy LaPointe of 32 Deerfield Drive in N. Waterboro is requesting a Conditional Use Permit to operate a Day Care Facility at 757 Narragansett Trail, located in the business/commercial district on Tax Map 6, Lot 26.
Cindy has had a daycare for 17 years in her home and has decided to expand in a place of its own. They’ve found a home on Rt. 202 that they feel will make a great place for the daycare. She believes it is convenient for people and a good location.
Dave S thought the presentation was well done so far. Sue asked about ages of the children. Cindy said the ages would be from infant to age 11. She’ll have one other person helping her. She plans to have 15-20 children. Sue asks, Will there be fencing? Cindy says there will be.
John noticed from the map that there were more than two openings for vehicles to go in and out the ordinance allows only two. He notices that people would have to pull right out onto Rt. 202 from some parking spaces. Cindy says the entrance is in the back and pointed it out on the diagram. John pointed out some parking spaces on the map where people would back out into Rt 202. Cindy plans for people to enter and park out back and to have fences on the side and higher fences in the front. There is an existing plumbing supplies business in the barn. John would recommend that she take the parking spaces in front off the diagram. He doesn’t know how the Board feels about multiple entries. Section 10.7.A.3 - openings onto the street was discussed. Jere thinks the
entrance to the southwest side is more of a grassy area, which they’ll be able to see better, when they go on the site walk. Jere thinks there was an older house there, which was taken down several years ago.
Jere asked if there would be a maximum of 20 children. He asked about her license. Because it’s considered a facility, she could have more children. He pointed out that they would limit it to 20 per this permit, and Cindy was okay with that. One parking space per two children is regulated, so she’ll need to amend that on her application. Jere says she shows 14 spaces. At least the minimum of 10 would be needed. Sue asked about Cindy and her employee. Jere says the ordinance doesn’t address it. Sue says if she has the space and could show 12, she thinks it would be beneficial. Jere asked if she could eliminate an area on her plan, which would eliminate the third entrance. It could be verified on the site walk. Sue referred Cindy to specific parking space
sizes required in the ordinance.
Harry asked if the Board is ready to set a site walk.
- Motioned by Sue, seconded by Harry, to set a site walk on the above for September 27, 2011, at 5:30 p.m. Six voted in favor.
- CEO Report
No report this evening.
Approval of Minutes:
September 12, 2011 - Board doesn’t have minutes - will have next meeting
September 19, 2011 -
- Moved by Sue, seconded by Harry, to accept the minutes as amended. Six voted in favor.
Approval of Bills:
Dave A. will be submitting a letter to the Board of Selectmen to carry over funds for mapping from this year to next year. He’ll get a copy to everyone.
Sue will get back with some GIS info next week.
Set Public Hearing for amendments being presented at the November Special Town Meeting (must be held at least 15 days prior to November 7th - October 10th)
- Motioned by Sue, seconded by Harry, to set the public hearing on ordinance amendments being proposed for the November 7, 2011, Special Town Meeting on October 24, 2011. Motion did not come to a vote.
- Motioned by Jere, David S. seconded, that they change their meeting normally scheduled for October 10 to October 17 at 7 p.m. Six voted in favor.
- Motioned by Jere, seconded by Harry, that they set the public hearing for the ordinance amendments to the zoning ordinance for the November special town meeting on October 17, 2011. Six voted in favor.
Harry mentioned discussion of mass gatherings and public entertainment. He’d like Krystal to get some samples for the Board for the next meeting so they can decide how the Town wants to deal with these things. Jere mentioned pasturing and animal husbandry. Sue thinks the wording on subdivisions could be re-organized. Harry stated that she could propose this.
- Motioned by Harry, seconded by David S, to adjourn the meeting at 7:39 p.m.
Approval Date: _________
Harry Kavouksorian, Chairman Signature Date