Skip Navigation
Welcome to the website for the town of Buxton, Maine
This table is used for column layout.

  • About Buxton
  • Town Departments
  • Boards and Committees
  • Buxton News
  • Downloadable Forms
  • Useful Links
  • Subscribe to News
  • Home

Site  This Folder
Advanced Search

Town Seal
Frequently Asked Questions

I just moved to Maine, how long could I keep my out of state Registration & License?  

A:      State law requires you to register your vehicle within 30 days of residency.  State law also requires you to obtain a ME license within 30 days of residency.  Your out of state inspection sticker is good until it expires.

Can I drive an un-inspected vehicle to an inspection station?

A:      Yes you can, HOWEVER; you must obtain a permit from the Police Department.  You need to show proof of insurance coverage on the vehicle and we need to see your registration and license.  The permit will be valid for 3 days and is only good to and from an inspection station.

Can I drive an unregistered car?

A:      No, a vehicle you purchased cannot be driven with plates from the seller.  Those vehicles can only be towed via a car carrier or trailer; no part of the vehicle can touch the ground.  You are subject to a ticket if the registration has been expired more than 30 days.  It must be towed (on a car carrier or trailer, no part of the vehicle can touch the ground).

Can I have my VIN # verified?

A:      Yes, a Police Officer can verify your vehicle’s VIN #.

Do I have to notify the police about a motor vehicle crash I had?

A:      The operator of a vehicle involved in a collision resulting in injury, death, or apparent combined damage of $1,000 or more on a public way (includes damage to all vehicles and property) is required to notify the police department of the town/city in which the collision occurred immediately by the quickest means of communication.     

Does the Police Department unlock vehicles?

A:      Due to liability reasons, the Buxton Police Department no longer unlocks vehicles unless it is an emergency (infant in the vehicle, etc.).

Can I get info on Traffic Issues like Speed Limits and Street/Traffic Signs?

A:      Visit the State’s web site that has some great information.  Click here

I am going away on vacation, can the police keep an extra eye on my home while I am gone?

A:      Yes we can, Simply call dispatch @ 929-5151 leave us your name, address, length of leave and who to contact in an emergency OR download the property check form and drop it off at dispatch and we will do the rest!

How do I obtain a burning permit?

A:      Burning permits may be obtained at the dispatch center after 09:30 hours.  It is advised to call ahead to check the class day to be sure you may obtain a permit.  Call 929-5151.

Can I have my fingerprints taken?

A:      Yes, if you are a resident of Buxton, you may bring any fingerprint cards you were given to the Police Station.  We will have a Police Officer fingerprint you as the time permits.  It is usually a very short wait.  Sorry, we cannot make appointments.  There is no fee for this service.

How do I obtain a police report?

A:      You may complete a request for discovery at the dispatch center anytime of the day or night.  Once the request is completed, you will be called to pick up your report.  All reports are $6.00 for the first page and $1.00 for any additional pages.

Whom do I call if I have a problem with a domesticated animal?

A:      The Buxton Animal Control Officer deals primarily with domesticated animals such as cats and dogs. If you have an animal complaint you may call the dispatch center and speak with the dispatcher on duty, they will contact the ACO with the call information.  The Animal Control Officer will contact you as soon as possible.  If the call is serious, the Police Officer on duty will try to assist.

Town of Buxton
  185 Portland Road, Buxton, ME 04093 (207) 929-5191
Town Office Hours: Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm & Wed: 11:30am - 7:30pm
For departmental office hours please visit that department's home page.