Town of Buxton
Minutes for September 12, 2007 Selectmen’s Meeting
Prepared by: Dianne Senechal
Members Present: Jean C. Harmon, Clifford L. Emery, Robert C. Libby, Daniel T. Collomy and Linda W. Pulsoni.
Others Present: Mr. Hoffman, Joseph & Ghisleine Baulieu, Olive Collomy, Keith Emery, Larry Emery and Dennis Santolucito.
Business Meeting Agenda
1. Call to Order.
Open Bids for the Site Work Contract for the New Town Garage
1. Dearborn Bros. $552,724
Alternate bids $81,040 Fencing & gates
$ 9,323 Additional water
$ 3,500 Signage
$93,917 Deletion of paving
2. Gorham Sand & Gravel $495,724
Alternate bids $89,900 Fencing & gates
$20,500 Additional water
$ 6,825 Signage
$93,800 Deletion of paving
3, Emery Aggregates $438,227.90
Alternate bids $94,157.20 Fencing & gates
$14,286.40 Additional water
$ 5,400.00 Signage
$91,450.00 Deletion of paving
4. A. H. Grover $459,653
Alternate bids $86,236 Fencing & gates
$19,330 Additional water
$ 5,900 Signage
$104,110 Deletion of paving
2. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes.
Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes September 5, 2007. Approved 5-0.
3. Discussion held between 5:00 & 7:00 p.m.
5:30 p.m. – Dave Anderson and Jerry Ross – discuss Carry Forwards and mapping
5:40 p.m. – Greg Heffernan – discuss land clearing and trash issue
4. Review of Correspondence.
· Email from Dan Rose, Drummond & Woodsum – Re: Lunch on September 19 to discuss changes in Maine Employment Law
· Email from Geoff Herman, Maine Municipal Association – Re: School Reorganization Process
· Email from Joyce Kelley, York County Emergency Management – Re: York County Emergency Management Agency Open House September 16, 2007
· Email from Joyce Kelley – York County Emergency Management – September is Emergency Preparedness Month
· Memorandum from John J. Sylvester, Eleven Town Group – Re: Notification of two Meetings – one Monday Sept, 17 at 6:30 p.m. at the Waterboro Town Hall and second one on Sept. 20 at 6:30 p.m. at Waterboro Fire Station
· Email from SAD #6 Superintendent’s Office – Re: MSAD 6 will be touring Buxton Schools on Friday, Sept. 14 starting at 11:35 a.m. Selectmen and Town personnel are invited.
5. Review of Projects and Issues.
Selectman Libby reported that he is working on a State Valuation form for the State Planning Office and the Tax Assessor.
Selectman Collomy reported that he had been working on the bids for the new Town Garage for the Site Work.
Selectman Pulsoni clarified a statement that she made last week. The collection boxes at the Town Office and other locations for used cell phones and printer ink cartridges support the Buxton Garden Club scholarship program not the West Buxton Public Library.
Selectman Harmon reported that the Board has received a quote for the amplification system at the Town Hall. The additional equipment would amplify the meeting comments for the audience as well as the TV audience.
6. Old Business.
7. New Business.
8. Executive Orders.
E.O.070809009 – An order to approve Fred Farnham’s attendance to the MBOIA Fall Meeting. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809010 – An order to approve 32 hours of vacation time for Lary Owen. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809011 – An order to approve 8 hours of vacation time for Jody Thomas. Approved 5-0.
9. Executive Orders by Initiative.
E.O.070809012 – An order to adopt the Rules of The Board for fiscal year 2007 – 2008. Approved 5-0.
10. Accounts Payable and Payroll Warrants.
E.O.070809007 -- An order approving expenditures as documented in Accounts Payable Warrant #11-08. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809008-- An order approving expenditures as documented in Payroll Warrant
#11-08. Approved 5-0.
11. Next Meeting of the Board.
Selectmen’s Meeting Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 7:00 p.m.
Eleven Town Meeting Monday, September 17 and Thursday, September 20 in Waterboro
12. Other Business.
Flaggy Meadow Road will be closed from October 1 to Thanksgiving due to the bypass road construction. There will be a flashing sign posted at Groveville Square informing motorists to use Hurlin Smith and Waterman Road to access Route 202.
13. Public Comments and Questions.
Dennis Santolucito asked when the new Town Garage would be ready to occupy. It is believed it will be ready sometime in mid to late 2008.
Dennis also wanted to let the public know that Verizon was in the process of building a new tower next to the Town Office which will be used by the Town’s Police Department. Dennis questioned when the project would be done and the completion date was not known.
Joseph Baulieu asked when the striping would be done on Skip Road. The striping company has not come to do that work yet.
Keith Emery questioned when/if the Town would be using the tower that was approved on Route 22 last winter. The Town has the option to use it and will not do so until it is feasible cost wise to use it.
Keith also reported that the Public Works Department met with Frank Guidi regarding the pension plan. Keith stated that Public Works is still interested in the Maine State Retirement System. The Selectmen are still exploring the program and waiting for information from MSRS.
Dianne Senechal reminded everyone that the West Buxton Public Library is holding their book/bake and attic treasures sale on Saturday, September 15 and would like to see a large crowd for the event. The Trustees will be painting the inside of the Library this fall and the budget is very tight for this project.
Motion made and seconded to adjourn the Meeting at 7:32 p.m. Approved 5-0.