Town of Buxton
Minutes for September 26, 2007 Selectmen’s Meeting
Prepared by: Dianne Senechal
Members Present: Jean C. Harmon, Clifford L. Emery, Robert C. Libby, Daniel T. Collomy and Linda W. Pulsoni.
Others Present: Jack Hanna, Chief Thomas, Dave Harmon, Jason Grant, Olive Collomy and Keith Emery.
Business Meeting Agenda
1. Call to Order.
The Meeting was called to order at 7:01 p.m.
2. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes.
Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes September 19, 2007. Approved 5-0.
3. Discussion held between 5:00 & 7:00 p.m.
5:30 p.m. – Adam Palmer – did not show
6:00 p.m. – Cheryl Emery – will be at the Town Office tomorrow to complete NIMS forms
4. Review of Correspondence.
· Email from Joyce Kelley, York County Emergency Management – Re: Notification of Coastal Construction Manual Workshop Friday, October 19th at Old Orchard Beach Town Hall from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
· Email from Geoff Herman , Maine Municipal Association – Re: MMA has placed the School Reorganization and Consolidation Clearinghouse information on their website.
· Email from the Animal Welfare Society – Re: Copy of News Release regarding the seizure of dogs at the Buxton puppy mill
· Email from Joyce Kelley, York County Emergency Management – Re: NIMSCAST reporting must be completed by Friday morning 9/28/07
· Email from Shawn Cram, Director, MSAD #6 – Re: MSAD granted exempt status from consolidation but need to cut 5% from transportation, 5% from Special Education and 50% from Administration
5. Review of Projects and Issues.
Selectman Libby handling tax questions.
Selectman Collomy has been in touch with Perry Sawyer who will replace the board on the Salt Shed so a new overhead light can be installed.
Selectman Harmon has been working on the Carry Forward items and the Special Town Meeting that will be upcoming.
6. Old Business.
7. New Business.
Chief Thomas presented drafts of a Sex Offender Ordinance, Barking Dog Ordinance and a Mass Gathering. The Town of Buxton has 9 lifetime sex offenders. The barking dogs have become an issue as the Town is growing and it is a nuisance for people that are sleeping to have a constant barking problem. Towns around Buxton have passed Mass Gathering Ordinances and Buxton runs the risk of a gathering with no oversight.
8. Executive Orders.
E.O.070809017 – An order to award the Winter Sand bid to Gorham Sand and Gravel at a price of $7.95 per cubic yard delivered. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809018 – An order to approve an Abatement for taxes for year 2007/08 for Real Estate Taxes in the amount of $29.65 for [Map 3, Lot 1-1-7]. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809019 – An order to approve an Abatement for taxes for year 2007/08 for Real Estate Taxes in the amount of $75.20 for [Map 3, Lot 45H]. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809020 – An order to approve an Abatement for tax year 2007/08 for Personal Property for Case No. 14175 in the amount of $13.16. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809021 – An order to approve a Supplemental Tax Warrant and Certificate for tax year 2007 in the amount of $1,400 for [Map 3, Lot 49]. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809022 – An order to approve a Supplemental Tax Warrant and Certificate for tax year 2007 in the amount of $148.52 for [Map 8, Lot 6-24]. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809023 – An order to approve a pay rate of $15 per hour for Chester Ouellette effective October 1, 2007. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809024 – An order to appoint Andrew Townsend to the position of Interim Fire Chief effective September 29, 2007 at a rate of $20 per hour. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809025 – An order to approve an Abatement for tax year 2007/08 for Personal Property for Case No. 1069 in the amount of $112.80. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809026 – An order to approve the “Fiscal Year 2007 Carry forwards” list as shown on the document dated September 26, 2007. Motion to table until next week. Approved 5-0. No action taken.
E.O.070809027 – An order to approve 16 hours of vacation time for Chief Thomas. Approved
9. Executive Orders by Initiative.
10. Accounts Payable and Payroll Warrants.
E.O.070809015 -- An order approving expenditures as documented in Accounts Payable Warrant #13-08. Approved 5-0.
E.O.070809016 -- An order approving expenditures as documented in Payroll Warrant
#13-08. Approved 5-0.
11. Next Meeting of the Board.
Selectmen’s Meeting Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 7:00 p.m.
12. Other Business.
Flaggy Meadow Road will be closed from September 24 to November 21 due to the bypass road construction. There will be a flashing sign posted at Groveville Square informing motorists to use Hurlin Smith and Waterman Road to access Route 202.
The North Congregation Church on Church Hill Road will be holding a bottle drive on September 29 to raise money for the Food Pantry and the Keep the Heat on fund.
The Home Health Visiting Nurses will be holding a Flu Shot Clinic at the Buxton Town Hall on Friday, October 26 from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
13. Public Comments and Questions.
Dennis Santolucito asked if churches and school events could be exempt from the Mass Gathering Ordinance.
Keith Emery asked if the Selectmen have made any headway on the Maine State Retirement System. Keith stated that there is power at the tower on Route 22. He asked if the fire truck had been put out to bid yet.
Motion made and seconded to adjourn the Meeting at 7:27 p.m.