Town of Buxton
Minutes for December 16, 2009 Selectmen’s Meeting
Prepared by: Dianne Senechal
Members Present: Jean C. Harmon, Daniel T. Collomy, Robert C. Libby, Linda W. Pulsoni and Peter E. W. Burns.
Others Present: Dennis Santolucito, Keith Emery, Dave Harmon, Mike Grovo and Rob Hunt.
Selectmen’s Meeting Agenda – 7:00 p.m.
The Meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.
- Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes
Selectmen Meeting Minutes 12/09/09. Approved 3-0-2 (Selectman Libby and Burns were absent)
- Discussion held between 5:00 & 7:00 p.m.
5:30 – Andy Townsend -- introduced two new students to the Selectmen. The students are Fire Fighter 1 & 2 certified.
The Selectmen also discussed the lack of a Building Use Policy at the Groveville Fire Station and are working with the Chief to get a policy in place.
The Selectmen also discussed the repair of the ladder truck which needs $22,000 in repairs. The Selectmen will call a Special Town Meeting to handle the situation.
- Letter from Ernest M. DeLuca, Recreation Enterprise Manager, NextEra Energy Maine Operating Services, LLC – Re: Expansion of Existing Parking at the Boat Launch at Skelton Dam boat launch in Dayton
- Emails from Maine CDC – Re: H1N1 Information
- Letter from Suzanne B. Lukas, Superintendent of Schools – Re: Meeting January 4th with local and state officials regarding budget for 2010-2011 school year.
- Letter from So. Maine Regional Planning – Re: Funding for So. Maine Regional Planning Commission.
- Note from Chad Poitras, Board of Director of So. Buxton Cemetery Association – Re: Thank you note.
- Email from Janice E. Tevanian, Manager of Educational Services at Maine Municipal – Re: Maine Brownfields Conference on April 6, 2010 in Augusta.
- Email from Congresswoman Chellie Pingree – Re: H.R. 3791 Fire Grants Reauthorization Act of 2009.
- Email from Dan Stewart, Maine Bureau of Transportation Systems Planning – Re: Safety and maintenance of sidewalks
- Email from Jeff Austin, Maine Municipal – Re: DEP Culvert Rulemaking
- Review of Projects and Issues
Selectman Collomy reported that the snow piles up by the left side of the Public Works Garage and the plow truck cannot get close enough.
Selectmen Burns, Libby and Pulsoni reported that it had been a quiet week for them.
Selectman Harmon reported on the Wreaths Across America ceremony that took place last Saturday. It was a very moving experience and attendance was up.
Public Works Garage -- Floor Sealing – Selectman Harmon asked Selectman Collomy to follow-up to see when this process would be done. Selectman Burns asked who would be doing the work and it was stated that it was the responsibility of Littlefield Bros.
Installation of Plexiglas in Front Office – Quotes are being obtained from a carpenter to move this process along.
Repair Church Hill Salt Shed -- on hold.
Update on Fuel Service Switch – gathering data.
Cell Tower – Chief Grovo reported that he met with the owner and they are working together. The Chief has Maine Radio scheduled for a meeting and it will be determined how much more height will be gained from using this tower.
Designated Smoking Areas – A new smoking law has been enacted and the Town is working to get each Town building in compliance with a designated smoking area.
E.O.091012013 – An order to approve 8 hours of vacation time for David Pinkham. Approved 5-0.
E.O.091012014 – An order to approve 4 hours of vacation time for Fred Farnham. Approved 5-0.
E.O.091012015 – An order to approve 40 hours of vacation time for Mike Grovo. Approved 5-0.
E.O.091012016 – An order to rescind E.O.091011016. Approved 5-0.
- Executive Orders by Initiative
- Accounts Payable and Payroll Warrants
E.O.091012011 – An order approving expenditures as documented in Accounts Payable Warrant #25-10. Approved 5-0
E.O.091012012 – An order approving expenditures as documented in Payroll Warrant
#25-10. Approved 5-0.
- Next Meeting of the Board
Selectmen’s Workshop Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 6:00 p.m.
Selectmen’s Meeting Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 7:00 p.m.
The Town Office will be closed on Friday, December 25 to observe Christmas.
- Public Comments and Questions
Keith Emery questioned the use of Town sand for schools in Hollis. Keith indicated that a large amount of sand had been removed. Selectman Harmon said that she would check into it.
Dianne Senechal asked if the ladder truck would be out of service until a Special Town Meeting. The truck will be out of service and the Town will be covered by other towns through mutual aid if there is a need for equipment. The earliest a Special Town Meeting can take place is January 6th.
It was also reported that H1N1 vaccinations may be available at Walgreens and Hannaford and to check on line for locations.
Dennis Santolucito questioned the length of time the ladder truck would be out of service and if there was any way in an emergency situation this matter could have been handled quicker. The Selectmen responded that the money has to be moved from the Fire Equipment fund and needs voter approval.
Police Chief Mike Grovo reported on the Wreaths Across America program and how nice it was and well attended. The Chief stated that winter is here and reminded the public that they need to slow down.
It was also noted what a good job the Public Works Department does clearing the roads during a storm.
Representative Hunt stated that the Governor will unveil his proposal for cost cutting on Friday, December 18. Another 400 million will be added to the cuts. Every option is on the table for cost cutting according to Representative Hunt.
Representative Hunt was asked about the company that received the bonus for finishing a job early. Representative Hunt stated that ‘yes’ the bonus was paid, but it was a Federal job and if the contractor did not finish the job on time they would have been fined. The job also has to meet quality standards.
Motion made and seconded to adjourn the Meeting at 7:58 p.m.