The State of Maine has authorized the
Town of Buxton to register the following vehicles:
AUTOMOBILES, MOTOR HOMES, MOTORCYCLES, TRAILERS, FARM TRACTORS, MOPEDS, VANS, TRUCKS, TRACTORS, SPECIAL EQUIPMENT, SPECIAL MOBILE EQUIPMENT
An excise tax is collected at the time of registration, which belongs to the Town of Buxton. Funds raised by the collection of excise tax remain in the community.
The excise tax is based on the sticker price, or the original MSRP of the vehicle. A mil rate of $24/thousand is charged to a new vehicle. Each year the mil rate reduces until the vehicle is 6 years old. The minimum rate is $4/thousand.
A 5.5% sales tax, unless paid to a Maine dealer, is collected at the time of registration. The sales tax is based on the purchase price of the vehicle.
Registration, title and agent fees are also collected at the time of registration, and forwarded to the State of Maine.
The following documents must be presented at the time of the first registration of a vehicle.
If purchased from a Maine dealer:
- blue copy of title application
- Bill of Sale showing that Maine Sales Tax has been paid
- proof of insurance
- Munroney sticker (window sticker) for brand new vehicles
- Old registration if transferring from another vehicle
If purchased in a private sale:
- Bill of Sale
- Previous owner’s original title (including lien release if needed)
- Properly assigned on back, or blue copy of title application from a
- Lending institution
- Proof of insurance
- Sales tax must be paid at time of first registration
If previously registered out of state:
- Previous title, or lienholder’s name and mailing address
- Previous registration
- Maine proof of insurance
Note: Effective January 1, 2011 all vehicles 1995 and newer will always require a title.
For first time registrations, the person to whom the vehicle is being registered must be present.
Required Paperwork – Renewals
- Old registration
- Proof of insurance
- Current mileage
Any adult age 18 or older can re-register a vehicle.
The Town of Buxton is now participating in the Rapid Renewal Program offered by the State of Maine. This is an on-line re-registration program which can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.